Why shouldn't I charge my 64 kWh Kona EV to 100% every day?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by JSU, Apr 10, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. It’s interesting that even modern small appliances use NiMH rather than LiPo. I would imagine that it’s a cost thing, noting else. It’s unknown if these items use a coulomb-counting charge controller as our EVs and smartphones have, and perhaps are not able to accurately charge to 80% or some other precise level.
    My very cheap eBike is the same - the charger power pack connects directly to the battery pack, simply providing 42.0 V, a maximum 4.20 V per cell, limited to 2 amps. I have a second charger that I‘ve adjusted to 4.08 V per cell to limit the maximum charge to a ballpark 85%. The battery is still strong after 4 years.

hieronymous likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Number one Ev Kona Can't be charged for 100% because software is set 95.5% lot of owners don't know what !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Kona EV 2020 100% charge on dashboard in realty is 95.5% this manufacturer protection !!!! So if charge Kona EV to 80 % on dashboard realistically You charge 76.4 % so pick Your choice .That numbers are realistic !!!!!!!!!

5. My recommendation is to charge 90%=85.95% if you planning to keep Kona for more then 3 years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

So, what about this scenario for someone who doesn't have home charging:
    Charging about once a week when the battery gets near 20%? Is it best to charge to 100% and maybe be closer to a week and a half or better to go with 80% and be closer to a week?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I would go with 80-90 percent and a week. Charging once a week away from home doesn't seem too much of an inconvenient, at least for me.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Me either, especially when I work from home twice a week and can literally use my.ohone as a hotspot and work wherever.

Esprit1st likes this.
  10. That's pretty much how I charge as well, unless more range is required.

navguy12 and Esprit1st like this.
  11. Again, it depends on when you plan to use the charge over 80%. The idea is to avoid having the car sitting around for more than a couple of hours with greater than 80% charge. That's how the deposits start to form.
    Like you, I typically end up at a fast charger on Saturday or Sunday morning. I charge enough above 8o% to cover my journey home (and using the heater this winter).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. navguy12

navguy12 Well-Known Member

I've just plowed through this whole thread and I feel I'm exactly where I started from :p

Based on my 27 months experience with my other EV, I've set up my (wife's) Kona EV to charge up to 90% and we will run the car down to about 30% before plugging in again (240v at 32a).

Sidebar question: is there any actual %SOC indication on the Kona (preferred), or is %SOC simply implied by the energy gauge level and the range in km as indicated on the standard instrument panel? Thanks.

14. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

%SoC is displayed when EV operations are accessed on the console, but is not otherwise available as a default display on the dash or the HUD.
    This lack is the primary reason I always run Torque Pro as a 2nd HUD.

navguy12 likes this.
  15. The SoC (displayed) is intended to accurately indicate available energy capacity, which I understand it does by tracking accumulated energy going in and out of the battery, factored by the relevant efficiencies determined from its own history. I’ve described this in more detail in the torque pro thread.
    The GoM will use that information as well as driving history, temperature and current climate settings.
    As a personal preference, because the GoM is a moving target I ignore it completely and focus on % charge required per 100km.

navguy12 likes this.
  16. navguy12

Thanks! I'll check it out next time I'm fiddling with the settings.

Understood.

In my TM3, my personal technique is to simply have %SOC showing at all times, so it becomes a simple "fuel gauge".

KiwiME likes this.
  17. I'm not sure if your Kona model has a user-programmable "star" button on the centre unit but I set mine to bring up the battery SoC screen.

18. Haha, I had that too until I realized that there is no "home" button. Which makes it a pain to switch to Android auto from the SOC screen or the map screen (when I use AA for music). So I reverted back to having the star work as the home button.

From there is only one tap to the EV menu which shows you the SOC.

19. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

There is always the Home “button” top left of the screen.

However, at least in my ‘19 Kona, you have to choose between the sat/nav screen or the %SoC screen, so back to TP...

20. navguy12

I think it does, but now that I know where the SoC is located, I'm good to go.

21. On my RHD version the star button is an easier reach than the EV icon, and by feel alone, so I like it set that way. Mine came with a Home button but it seems they repurposed that for NAV versions, which my base model doesn't have.

I also note that the climate controls are focused for LHD, as with RHD they are a bit fiddly. Auto, Off and Driver Only are at an inconvenient reach and illogically arranged. Good thing they gave it a mind of its own as it occasionally switches on by itself.

C4AE425B-0EB7-4BD8-B920-4F145A61E720_1_105_c.jpeg

navguy12 likes this.
  22. persianrider

persianrider Member

I've got a question which doesn't seem to really be answered in the manual....

I see an option to choose between MAXIMUM/MODERATE/SLOW speed when charging off the 240v .....

considering the fact that I usually charge only once a week (maybe in winter it'll be every 5 days)... and I always do it when I get home from work around 6PM and only leave again around 7AM.... would it be beneficial for the battery life to switch my charging to Moderate? (what is moderate or slow by the way on the 240?)

23. It's reduced power, so it charges shower. I cannot remember the exact numbers. It doesn't really make any difference at those speeds. If you have a full level 2 charger at home you're charging at 7.4 kWh (or something like that). Charging shower will not be any better for the battery.

However, if you charge to 100% I would try to make sure it's not charged up and then sitting full all night long.

navguy12 likes this.