Has software update reduced your Kona Electric range?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Domenick, Aug 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I doubt this will have the wanted effect.
    First of all it will take about 3-4 days running down the battery only using AC.

Second, the GOM might display terrible range because you're not moving, but using lots of energy. So your projected miles per kWh will be extremely low!

Just drive your car normally, like you always do. As mentioned, some of the numbers that the GOM needs to predict your available range have been reset with the software update and it will take a while to predict correctly again.

So don't sweat it, drive like you drive, enjoy your car and charge when you get below 30% and you'll be fine. If you'll ever drive very differently than what you usually drive, it will predict wrong anyways and "relearn". That's how it works.

BaylorBob and Anaglypta like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    That's not really going to help you - For the GoM to calculate the range after charging to 100% it needs to look at how you have driven the car. Just discharging the battery is going to give you a very poor range reading!

John.

BaylorBob and Domenick like this.
  4. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    @Esprit1st Wow you beat me to the punch there. :)

John.

Esprit1st likes this.
  5. Went for a longish drive today, incl some elevation gain, to a park and some hiking. Took mostly back roads, and no fast freeway driving. My dash said I used an avg of 12.0 kWh/100 kms. That works out to a range of 533 kms or 330 miles. So my range is pretty good after the BMS update. And oh, the A/C was on the whole time, although not terribly hot outside, about 28C.

navguy12 and BaylorBob like this.
  6. CharlyM

CharlyM Member

Range also seems to be better on mine after the update ?

BaylorBob likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Please don't shout.

navguy12 and R P like this.
  9. Bob, by this he is asking that you refrain from posting in all-caps and bold. Writing in lower-case is much preferred on Forums.

navguy12, eastpole and Anaglypta like this.
  10. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

It seems to me my GOM has gone down a little since this time last year. I was doing a fair amount of highway driving last year and was getting up to 497 km on a full charge. Now, I am mainly driving in the city and my last full charge showed only 484 km, and I was expecting better mileage with city driving.
    Mind you, I now have nearly 20,000 k on the odometer.

11. I charged to 100% yesterday in nice, warm weather. I got 480km on the GOM. My highest last year was 503. Given the big change in my driving habits since last year post-covid I'd say that my range is unchanged even after the update.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

Sorry, I didn't Know. Thank you. No more caps or bold for me.

navguy12, Domenick and Wildeyed like this.
  14. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

Thank you for your reply. You sound like an electrical engineer. I believe everything you say and will follow your advice. I'm puzzled by the 3-4 day comment though. The few times I put on my AC my cars EV mileage dropped about 15 to 20 miles making me think that if I continued to use the AC for a few hours I might cut my EV Range down by 50% so I turned off the air and put the windows down. Living in southern California I am lucky we have mild weather 95% of the year. Again, thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions.

15. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

Thank you, Domenick. I will make sure I don't use caps and bold again. Can you tell me how to print some of the specific answers or comments I am receiving? I was looking for a print icon in the menu bar and didn't find one. I can use my computer's print but it wants to print everything on the page whereas I only want to print a specific answer from a member. Thanks

16. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe when the GOM drops to reflect AC or HEATER use it is calculating the loss of range for the current charge. In other words if you've got 300km of range and turning on AC drops it by 30km it's saying, " If you drive with this much charge until 0% with the AC on you're going to hit zero 30km earlier than without. It's not an additive thing.

eastpole likes this.
  17. That is correct!
    As @Wildeyed mentioned it is reflected for the whole battery already. The AC uses somewhere between 0.5 to 2 kwh. If you use only the AC that will run down the full battery in about 2-3 days, or about 50-60 hours.

18. Additionally if BaylorBob has an attached garage and keeps his adjoining door open he could reduce the consumption on his home AC:)
    (not cost effective - but might as well enjoy any benefit )
    BTW I didn't mind the caps

BaylorBob likes this.
  19. You mean save on his home heating.

20. I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but if you want to quote from several different posts, you can click on "+Quote" in the bottom right part of posts. Then, when you go to the bottom of the page to begin your post, you'll see an "insert quotes" option in a yellow box on the left side. Click that and it should load the various posts you clicked the Quote button for.

I hope this helps.

*Edit to add: Oh, printing, like actual paper. Sorry, it's been a while. As @KonaTom suggests in the post below, highlighting and right-clicking for the print option is the only way I know to do this.

21. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

Depending on your computer, you could highlight the text and right click it for the action submenu and then print. It should only print the selected text.

BaylorBob likes this.
  22. eastpole

eastpole Active Member

I bet this is correct, but there's even more to it. When you turn on air conditioning in a car, it's often uncomfortably hot, so you blast it, full blower and min temp. But you don't leave it like that. I find that at 30 C or so, the aircon on the Kona EV works great and keeps the cabin comfortable at the lowest blower setting with min temp. (And 4 bodies in the car, emitting 400 W of waste heat, as well as the sun shining on the vehicle.) So if you look at the Guess-O-Meter when the aircon is still blasting, you will be deceived. Some of the "lost" range is going to be regained when you get the car cooled off and select a less frigid setting after 5-10 minutes of full cooling.

Just my observation. And I'm happy with the weather lately, no complaints here about 30 C.

23. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

Domenik. I just want to Print a Reply from someone who sends me a reply. Just one reply. If I try to do it with my computers print command it wants to print out everything on the forum page not just the Single Reply I want to print. Thanks

Domenick likes this.