Grim automarket news

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, Jul 16, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source: http://www.autoline.tv/daily/?p=69156#more-69156

U.S. CAR MARKET HEADED FOR DEEP TROUBLE
    The U.S. auto market could be headed into deep trouble. A month ago, GM’s CEO warned that returning to full production “depends on how the country manages containing the virus and following the safety protocols.” Well, we all know the answer to that. The virus is surging again, and Cox Automotive reports that 71% of consumers are very concerned or extremely concerned about the surge. Deloitte reports that one out of three Americans who are still employed are afraid of losing their jobs. And nearly half of all car owners say they’re going to keep the car they’ve got instead of buying a new one. Deloitte says a V-shaped recovery is increasingly looking far-fetched.

My reasons for sharing here is anyone with a favorite ride can have their data 'cherry picked' by citing their sales numbers and not the all of car sales. Sure, Tesla was the first target but anyone can have their favorite ride distorted.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

FWIW. Nissan is cutting production by 30%.

4. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

All indications are the U.S. economy is going to be in the tank for a while -- more so if Congress let's the expanded unemployment benefits expire at the end of July. That's going to be very rough for the auto industry across the board. People don't make major purchases like a car if they're scared about their economic future. I guarantee you there are lots of frantic conversations happening right now in every automaker's executive suites.

5. Harvey

Harvey Member

at least electric market share is increasing in comparison in europe.
    just need it to take over a little more here.

6. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Europe EV sales will explode. 50% market share by 2025.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Glad I bought the Kona when I did, even if now I've charged it all of about 4 times so
    far this year. I just hope that CCS charging infrastructure buildout can keep going,
    even if those companies will have to run on borrowed time until the customer base
    can get back on the road again.

_H*

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Just curious, how many miles on the odometer?

This isn't a race but sharing our Model 3 is at 26,373 mi after 16 months. The pandemic aborted our planned 'grand tour' to the East and West coast.

Do you have a charge limit setting for home charging?

I set my regular limit to 67% which tonight indicates 157 miles but has indicated as low as 156 miles. This projects to ~232-234 miles of the original 240 miles which projects to (240-234)/240 ~= 2-3% battery degradation. I use a more conservative 3-4% because there is some variability of the estimated range and Alabama is in warm summer, ~72-74 F at night.

Thursday I'll drive to Tire Rack in Atlanta, 183 miles each way, to pickup some lighter rims and what should be better tires:
    • 235/45R18 98Y XL 320 AA A - Michelin PILOT SPORT 4 (on rear drive)
    • 225/55R18 98H SL 640 A A - Bridgestone ECOPIA EP422 PLUS
    With luck, the wheel and tire tuning will compensate for the initial battery degradation. The next steps will be looking at standard Prius tuning tricks.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  10. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I know this sounds bad, but I am grateful it tanked for a while, it allowed me to afford my used Kona.

Bruce M. likes this.