Rust proofing

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Sam Ng, Jul 7, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sam Ng

Sam Ng New Member

Will be picking up the 2020 Clarity in few days, I know Honda has an electronic version of rust protection, but I have no idea how it works or how effective it would be? It's also very expensive through Honda, I could have that installed by a local shop for few hundreds! Also, if I had someone outside of Honda to install the module, would it void the factory warranty in any way?

In terms of regular rust proofing like Krown, is it a good idea to have the Clarity protected? I was looking into the Hyundai Kona EV before and I was told specifically not to do any form of rust proofing! I don't know why but I have been warned!

I'm in Canada where in winter time we have to deal with snow and salt!

Much appreciate your help,

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Can you send a link to this Honda device? I've never heard of it.

Lots of body parts will never rust because they are aluminum. The rear fenders, however, are steel, so if the factory coatings fail, they could rust.

4. Sam Ng

Sam Ng New Member

Hmm, the link is not present from honda.ca site under accessories. I was asked when I met with the financial manager, which we went through extended warranty and electronic rust protection. Original price for this rust protection was over $1700, I was offered at $1200? From Canadian Tire, which is Canada based hardware store with automotive service, they have a similar module for about $350 before installation. I don't know how much difference between brands?

5. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    David Towle, DaleL and TomL like this.
  6. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

These Cathodic Protection system do work under certain conditions, most notable is the requirement that the car be submerged in water (buried in wet soil is an acceptable alternative). If corrosion when your car is underwater or buried is a concern, this device will likely be worth paying for.

David Towle and Alex800st like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sam Ng

Sam Ng New Member

Thanks for the link, I think that is it. Looks like it was the corrosion and under coating package, now I'm not sure if it's the electronic version. My brother bought the Civic few years back at Honda and he got the electronic rust protection module at the same time through dealer.

I declined all other appearance protection as it would be a pain to claim for it if ever needed!

9. Sam Ng

Sam Ng New Member

10. JohnT

JohnT Active Member

Hi Sam

Complete crap from the finance guy... got the same spiel - (Canada) - took the pamphlet home and discovered it was of course a complete scam .. a dongle that goes in the odb? port and 'supposed' to prevent rust.. cost $20 sell $1700 with a bogus warranty - run very fast in the other direction :)... there is NOTHING the finance guy can sell you except your choice of HONDA ext warr ( I chose it others may not)
    Cheers John Eastern Ontario in 3rd year 2018 Touring 40K klicks no issues - fingers crossed!

DaleL likes this.
  11. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Never looked into rust protection. Living in the Sun Belt, you see cars 20-30 years old with faded paint for sure, but zero rust.

DaleL likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Annwn

Annwn Member

Search for articles online from reputable websites, but I've always been told/read that the factory does a pretty decent of rust-proofing. When you use most aftermarket rust-proofing solutions - they just spray it on underneath. In some cases, I've read that this can actually cause issues with water getting up and eventually under the spray-on rustproofing - causing corrosion underneath. Not sure how accurate. If anyone has info either way I'd be curious since I'm looking at a truck purchase eventually too...and you wouldn't know that some of these trucks had rustproofing given how often they rust out in locations.