Check Forward Collision Avoidance Assist

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Jamas, Jun 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. As I was driving this morning, I got the Error “Check Forward Collision Avoidance Assist“. There is no debris on the windshield or the front bumper. Any idea what’s causing this? The error won’t reset, even after restarting the car.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I think the US versions don't have the radar box under the license plate and I don't know what it uses instead, perhaps the front camera. I don't believe I've seen this fault reported before.

IMG_0413.jpeg

4. Jamas's US spec "Ultimate" model does indeed have a radar module under the front license plate. That said I am not sure if its the radar or the camera or both that are responsible for collision avoidance.

5. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I got "camera obscurred" on my FCA system a few times.. Usually when bugs hit near the camera.. I have the SEL, so no radar.. My FCA only uses the camera.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Thanks. Made an appointment for tomorrow.

8. I'll be bringing in the car this morning, but after doing some of my own inspection, I think I may know what happened. A couple weeks ago, I was pulling into a parking spot. I pulled in a little too far and due to the low ground clearance of the front, I scraped against the curb stop/parking block. Didn't think much of it at the time, but when I took a look underneath the car yesterday, I noticed that the plastic underbody shield got damaged and is also out of alignment. I'm thinking that put the front radar out of alignment. Just curious why it took two weeks for the error to show up.

Anyway, we'll see what the dealer says. I'm sure this is going to cost $$$. Things around here are never cheap.

9. My worst fears confirmed. $2500 worth of damage. :( Let this be a warning to everyone. As someone who's always driven SUVs, clearance was never an issue for me. Be extra, extra careful when pulling into parking spots with those cement parking blocks.

milesian likes this.
  10. To remove this ad click here.

11. Ouch! Is that requiring the whole new nose cone? or just trim piece below- is the radar sensor still OK or needs replacement/realignment? any pictures?

12. "Ouch" is an understatement :(

Apparently it involved a lot of damage, not just the underbody shield (which, online, only costs about 80 USD). If you ask me, this is a bad design if a scrape over a paring block causes this level of damage. I was advised by the dealer to notify my insurance company, so it'll cost me a 500 USD deductible.

This is the only picture I snapped before bringing it in. You can see how it got ripped open.

IMG_5778.jpg

13. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I hate those curb blocks in parking lots for this very reason.

14. A lot more damage than I thought, too bad there was no deer hair in there and get it under comprehensive.