Hate thieves, but no issues with my Clarity to date

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Nemesis, Jun 22, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

I believe people who steal or vandalize someone else's property should be caught and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I hate thieves. Now with that said, I have talked to 5 friends and family members that own Honda Civics and Accords and with this small sample, 4 of them have gotten their rims/tires jacked. Some in the neighborhood or elsewhere. I don't recall anyone on this forum stating their rims where stolen but I could be wrong. I know my car has not been targeted because I believe our cars are not mainstream and the "low lifes people"that steal are not interested in our vehicles. Sorry for the rant but when my niece just told me her rims where stolen off her Accord, it just got me going. Okay, back to my Covid-19 work from home day.

coutinpe and Clarity_Newbie like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

People really need to get back to using garages as garages instead of junk rooms. Sure, it won't help those who are stuck with carports or live at apartments with open parking, but the vast majority of car theft and damage would stop overnight if people would just clean out their damn garages and put the cars in the garage, and shut the door.

For those who have garages yet leave their car on the street anyway, I have zero sympathy if their vehicle is damaged or stolen. It's also rather annoying when a residential street full of homes with garages is reduced to one lane because people are parked on both sides of the streets instead of in their driveway, let alone their garage.

4. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

100% would stop if people didn't take things that don't belong to them. Its my property, leaving it outside doesn't give someone else the right to take it...

5. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Have you ever heard "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"?

The Gadgeteer and turtleturtle like this.
  6. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I see these reports on the local news and my Ring doorbell alerts quite often. Some homeowner stating their UNLOCKED car got broken into while parked in the driveway... with a garage door in the background behind them. Uh..... DUH... park your car in the garage! Insurance companies should absolutely nail these people with higher premiums.

Heck in this part of the country you must park your car inside unless you want it destroyed with hail damage.

The reason no one steals Clarity rims is because they are plain ugly!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

I hear what you are saying about take precautions and such but the point for me is, people should not steal other people's property period. I don't care if it is easier because my door is unlocked. To me, the person who steals is the problem, not the person who left their door open. I know you didnt say people who leave their door open are the problem, I am just stating my feelings around thieves, I hate them and will blow a gasket if I seen a thief in progress.

JFon101231 likes this.
  9. ab13

ab13 Active Member

Did any have wheel locks on their wheels? They don't cost that much.

The Gadgeteer likes this.
  10. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

1) If you leave loose valuables in your car visible and/or unlocked you are an idiot. Agreed
    2) parking your car outside overnight is NOT in the same league as #1. Many homes don't have garages, or older houses from 40s and 50s have one because a dual vehicle family wasn't popular.

Ounce of prevention? How about this:
    Strike 1 - cut off 2 fingers
    Strike 2 - cut off the whole other hand

11. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Easily disabled if you know what you are doing.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Nemesis

Nemesis Active Member

I actually have wheel locks on my Clarity but I also agree with Jfon, if someone wants your wheels, locks are not going to stop them as they already have multiple examples of wheel lock keys to test on your car or break them if desired.

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Our Clarity PHEV called dibs on our one-car garage in 2017 so the MINI Electric coming soon will be parking in our driveway. I'm counting on thieves to sneer and walk away from its odd, plastic-encrusted wheels, which MINI recently renamed from "Corona Spoke" to "Power Spoke." Not only are they odd-looking, but they require a special factory tool to balance them.

upload_2020-6-23_1-43-24.png

Mowcowbell likes this.
  15. Mowcowbell

Insightman: I sure do like the Mini EV and have read many reviews. Seems like the only thing the reviewers complain about is the range. 110 miles is waay more miles than the average driver does in a day. Heck, 110 miles would last me for 5 days of daily commuting.

I know this isn't a Mini forum, but would like to hear about your ownership experience.

16. insightman

I do feel guilty when I mention the MINI Electric on this forum. InsideEVs does have a MINI Cooper SE forum. On that forum, 90% of the posts are mine, even though I don't even have my car yet. It will never be as lively as this forum because the MINI Electric will never be as mysterious as the Clarity PHEV.

Mowcowbell likes this.
  17. Don’t you understand that those people need the wheels more than you?

The levels of insensitivity and intolerance are unbearable.

Kerbe likes this.
  18. Mowcowbell

Thanks, I'll check out that Mini Cooper SE forum.

19. insightman

Honda Clarity PHEV. Honda Clarity PHEV. Honda Clarity PHEV. (My dealer called a minute ago to tell me the MINI I ordered in October is finished and awaiting its boat ride!)

Mowcowbell likes this.
  20. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Exactly what happened to a lady neighbor. She got her Civic's 4 tires/rims stolen when left overnight parking on the street. The amount of boxes and bags in her garage is unfathomable.... and it's a garage for TWO cars, she only has one.

21. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

I agree, single parent households and the exploited working class can lead to some pretty nasty societal tumours. We need to prevent these crimes from the root, not the symptom. ;)

22. My, what a large paint brush you have.

Best of luck in your endeavor to root out the problem.

23. Pooky

Pooky Active Member

Would you care to compare paint brush sizes?